Pages

Friday, October 25, 2019

Jannat Ashfaq - Senior - Cal-HOSA State Officer - Region 1 Vice President

A report by Jannat Ashfaq:

In September, I went to Washington DC for the HOSA Future Health Professionals Washington Leadership Academy.  I met the HOSA Executive Council and had the opportunity to network with state officers from all over the nation.  The theme of the Academy was "Being a Positive Influence". Through a variety of activities, a little bit of madness and a lot of bonding, we learned the importance of trust, credibility, diversity, and gratitude. The lessons that stand out include - you must establish trust between you and those you want to lead and there needs to be a sense of thankfulness and gratitude between you and the other HOSA members.

We toured various industry sites, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH). There I participated in a virtual reality set for a clinical trial. Another very educational experience was visiting Capitol Hill. I met with Congressman McNerney from our district.  I explained to him how HOSA has changed my life. HOSA has taught me how to truly be a servant leader, the importance of passion, the dedication it takes to be an effective leader and the self-confidence you need to have to do all of the above.  We also discussed the Perkins Act, which is the bill that funds CTE programs, including HOSA.  I asked for continued support for the Perkins Act.  At the end of the meetings, I was offered an internship at his Stockton office to help promote awareness of the Perkins Act. This experience has definitely taught me the importance of our voice in what happens with our nation.

The final part of the Academy was a tour of Washington DC at night. Being able to see the history of this nation was interesting and eye-opening.  Overall the trip was amazing and truly taught me skills that can improve my leadership skills and the way I overall present myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment